Carpet as your flooring choice is good as long as you don’t have a spill or a stain. Once an accident happens all hell breaks loose. It can be very overwhelming to see something fall on your carpet flooring. The first thing to do is “don’t panic”. While you are panicking the stain just sinks into the carpet, therefore you need to keep calm and figure out a way to clean the spill without staining the carpet.
If you have carpet as the flooring option, in your home make sure to have the following items for carpet cleaning if there is a spill or a stain.
- Clean white towels
- Cleaning solution or a surgical spirit
- Gentle detergent solution
- Ammonia solution
Whatever may be the spill, one needs to follow the below given step by step procedure to clean the stain.
- The first and foremost step is to remove any excess after a spill so that it doesn’t get to be a permanent stain. If it is a liquid spill use a clean towel that absorbs well and blot the liquid away. Always blot never rub as it can damage the carpet permanently. If it is a solid spill then take a spoon to pick up any excess.
- Spray a cleaning agent on the remaining stain (either homemade or store bought). Never wet the carpet too much as it can cause damage to the carpet. Leave it on for 10 minutes.
Homemade recipe to remove stains: 1 teaspoon for dish soap, 1 cup of water and ¼ teaspoon of white vinegar.
If you are not sure about the cleaning solution, always try it on an area that is inconspicuous.
- Now take a clean cloth and blot the stain. Repeat this process till the stain doesn’t come on to the cloth. Use cold water to blot again and dry the area. You can dry the area by placing a cloth or even paper towels and then place a heavy article over night. This will help the area to dry easily.
Find below some solutions for some of the most common spills:
Blood: Use cold water or mineral soda; blot the area using a clean cloth. Repeat till stain is gone.
Wine/juice: Spray club soda and blot with a clean cloth. Repeat the process until stain is gone.
Urine: Urine can be a common accident if you have kids or pets around. Buy an enzymatic cleaner from a pet store and apply as given in instructions.
Gum: Remove as much as possible. Place a bag of ice to harden the remaining gum and by using a butter knife clean out the dried out gum. Vacuum the area once done.
Some pointers to remember when dealing with a carpet:
- Never wet your carpet too much while cleaning.
- Always blot and never rub.
- Before treating any spill or stain, always blot or scrape any excess.
- Remember to always test the cleaning solution in an area that is well hidden before the actual area.
- Always make sure to dilute the detergent, this way the carpet fibers won’t get damaged.
- Try to keep the carpet as dry as possible (use a hairdryer to dry out any excess dampness).
- Always clean up the stains immediately to reduce the risk of staining.
- Never spray the cleaning chemicals directly onto the carpet. Make sure to spray it on a cloth and then dab the cloth on to the stain.
If in case you are unable to get rid of the stains, you can always get professional help to clean the carpet, you can contact any professional carpet cleaners to come and clean the carpet.