Dye is basically a colorful substance that has many uses. You can color your hair using a hair dye or even dye a cloth to get a desired color. When one is working with dye, accidents happen and they can turn out to be a nightmare especially if the spill happened on a carpet.
Dye stains can be a very major issue for any home owner. It can ruin the carpet and the look of the room if it is not cleaned immediately and in the right way. Once the spill occurs don’t panic, it won’t help clean out the stain. You have to act quickly and do a good job of cleaning the stain. Below are a few tips given on how to remove dye stains on a carpet.
Things you will need to clean out the dye stains that are still fresh:
- Dish soap
- White vinegar
- Rubbing alcohol
- Clean white cloths
Follow the below steps to clean the dye stains:
- Take a clean cloth and place it on the stain and blot up the excess dye, this will help dye from seeping in to the carpet flooring. Do not rub the stain just blot it.
- Make a mix with 2 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon dish soap and 1 tablespoon white vinegar.
- Now take another clean cloth and dip it in the mix and dab it on the stain. Then take a clean dry cloth and dab it. Continue this process till the stain is removed.
- Rinse the area of the stain with cold water.
- Now take another clean dry cloth or a sponge and place it on the area of the stain to soak up the liquid.
- Take the rubbing alcohol and pour some on a clean cloth and place it on the spot till the stain disappears.
- Rinse again with cold water
- If the stain is still persistent, then mix 2 cups of warm water 1 tablespoon dish soap 1 tablespoon ammonia. Put this mix on the concerned area and leave it on for ½ an hour.
- Rinse the area with cold water
- Once the stain is removed remove any excess liquid using a cloth or sponge. Once the area is totally dry, vacuum the carpet.
Please make note, not to use liquid ammonia on a woolen carpet, as it can damage the fibers.
It is much easier to remove fresh stains than the ones that have dried up. Given below are a few tips and suggestions on how to remove an old stain caused by dye.
Things you will need:
- Hair spray
- Johnson’s baby shampoo
- Sea breeze astringent
Follow the below steps to remove the stains:
- First use the hair spray and spray the area and wet the stain completely. Leave it on for 5 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
- If the stain is still persistent use the astringent and squeeze it on to the stain and leave it on 5 minutes. Dab the area and then rinse with cold water. Repeat this process till the stain is erased.
- You may try the baby shampoo on the stain and see if it will work. If your dye is water soluble then it can do wonders to the stain. Wet the area and put it a few drops of Johnson’s baby shampoo on the stain. Gently rub in the shampoo and then clean with cold water. Repeat this process till the stain disappears.
Whatever you choose to use first make sure you try it on an area that cannot be seen and see if it will change the color of the carpet or damages the carpet in any way. Once the damage is done, nothing can be done but to change the carpet itself.