Linoleum is one of the most popular flooring materials in today’s market. Historically, linoleum forms were brittle compared to today’s linoleum, and tended to crack and curl and presented as a low quality material. But in recent years, the positive benefits and the way of linoleum manufactures have caused resurgence in the popularity of this durable material. Though it is durable and versatile, it should be cleaned carefully to keep it looking new and shiny for ages. To prevent your linoleum floors from scratches or wraps, should be cleaned on a regular basis, using harsh cleaners may create streaks or it may ruin the linoleum. You should go with regular mopping for a fresh look and feel, wherein for deep cleaning you can use mild cleaners with warm water.
Here you can see some of the best ways to clean your linoleum flooring-
For Quick cleaning- Follow these tips for a soft floor cleaning on a regular basis.
- Vacuum your floors thoroughly on a regular basis paying attention and make sure to clean under appliances, cabinets and corners where the dust accumulates.
- Add 6 or 7 drops of dish soap in one gallon of hot water and mop thoroughly and ensure to avoid putting excess water on the floor.
- Once done mopping your floor with soapy water, then clean the entire floor with plain water thoroughly.
- Using towels dry your floor, as linoleum absorbs liquid, giving the floor a dull and dingy look.
For Intense Cleaning-Once or twice a year, your floor should be deep cleaned, especially if your floor has deep grooves or designs.
- Follow step 1 from quick cleaning procedure.
- Then, add 6 drops of dish wash soap in one gallon of hot water.
- Dip scrub brush in soapy water and scrub the entire floor in a circular motion, if needed dip the brush in soapy water.
- Once done with scrubbing all over the floor, rinse the bucket and clean with plain warm water.
- Again proceed with step 4 from quick cleaning procedure.
For any stubborn/ tough stains- You can make use of mild foaming cleaners on your flooring to remove tough stains, but always make sure to follow the instructions on the label or check with the retailer before you purchase a floor cleaner. Keep in mind that, foaming cleaners should not be used to clean the entire floor, but only when necessary for tough stains or problematic spots.
Go green your flooring- Many detergents or harsh/ abrasive cleaners may not be safe for your flooring as well as the environment. So, always use environmental friendly traditional cleaners. For friendly cleaning, you can clean your linoleum floors with ½ a cup of distilled white vinegar to one gallon of water.
Avoid using harsh cleaners or high pH contained cleaners on your linoleum floors, as they can wear off and ruin the surface finishing of your linoleum.
Linoleum flooring is extremely easy to clean and care for. With proper care and maintenance linoleum can last for ages to come.