Granite floors have a very royal look. When an entryway or a hallway or even a kitchen countertop has granite tiles, it gives a very elegantly chic look. Granite tiles are an investment to give your home a luxurious look. Granite is strong, heat resistant and can take heavy wear and tear.
Granite tiles are considered to be slightly more expensive than other flooring types. They can be installed in any room, like the bathroom, kitchen, hallway etc. Given the price you pay, granite needs regular cleaning to keep up its look and they need constant attention.
Tips on how to clean your granite floors on a regular basis:
- Have to dry mop your granite floors on a daily basis, to keep the dust and dirt from accumulating on the tile.
- Never use abrasive cleaners or bleach.
- Make sure to use cleaners that are recommended.
- Clean up any spills immediately to prevent staining. You can use a paper towel or a soft cloth.
- Always use warm water and soft cloth. After cleaning wipe clean with a dry cloth.
- Try to use distilled water as you can be rest assured that there is no mix of chlorine or other minerals.
- Do not use rough sponges or scrubbers for cleaning. They can leave permanent scratch marks.
- Red wine, coffee or soda can be dangerous if left for too long on your granite floor or counter tops. They can make your tiles look very drab.
- If the spill is not cleaned by using water, you can try using a little soap mixed in water and clean the area with a soft cloth.
- If the stain is still persistent you can make a paste with baking soda and water and apply it on the stain. Leave it overnight and then clean it.
- If the color of the granite is light color then you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean the stains and if the granite is dark color then you must use acetone as a cleaning agent.
How to polish your granite with home-made remedies to keep the well maintained look:
- Mix ¼ cup of baking soda and 3 cups of water. Apply it and wipe it clean. Take a soft cloth and polish your floors to give it a new look.
- Mix 1 cup of rubbing alcohol and 3 cups of water with a few drops of soap (ph balanced). Apply it, clean it and polish with a soft cloth.
Maintaining your granite floors on a regular basis is very important. In the same way, it is also recommended that once every year, the sealant is applied to the granite tiles or counter-tops, to give its glossy shine back and also to protect it.
Besides all this, regular checks need to be done to your granite tiles and counter-tops to check and see if there are any cracks or chips. If there are any, it is highly recommended to replace it immediately and not wait for the tile to crack. Check to see if grout is intact and not falling out.