Both laminate and bamboo flooring options are extensively used in any area of a home except maybe in bathrooms. Both floorings have great style and choice to opt for, providing warmth, quality and richness of traditional hardwood flooring. These floors are also a healthy alternative for people who suffer from allergic reactions. In addition, some varieties of laminate and bamboo are very eco-friendly materials which give some peace of relaxation for homeowners who plan to go green with their surroundings. Also, Laminate and Bamboo floorings are very good alternatives to hardwood flooring when it comes to cost and maintenance.
Here you can compare both Bamboo and Laminate flooring with their advantages and disadvantages-
Advantages of Bamboo Flooring-
- Bamboo is usually less expensive flooring option comparatively to hardwood materials.
- Bamboo flooring is mostly selected by the people due to its dramatic look and feel of it.
- Bamboo is extremely alluring, durable and long lasting flooring material which can last long for ages.
- Natural colours of “Bamboo Flooring” are generally more durable with lot of dramatic shades available in market that can satisfy your style and taste.
- Bamboo flooring is resistant to hard abrasions where it can be installed even in high traffic areas of any part in your home.
- Like other wood flooring materials, bamboo also has high moisture resistance comparatively, as long as the water doesn’t settle on the surface for hours.
- Though, bamboo is not a wood material, it can be refinished and stained again to restore the floor to its usual outstanding look and prolong its performance.
- Bamboo is not much sensitive to humidity levels. Therefore, it doesn’t have as much seasonal shrinks and disburses as hardwood flooring.
Disadvantages of Bamboo flooring-
Any flooring you choose will have their own cons, however you can compare the advantages with other floor materials and should select accordingly.
- Some kinds of bamboo material are harder than white oak (hardwood floor), where it can dent and scratch excessively.
- A poorly installed bamboo floor sounds hollow and can create discomfort to walk on.
- A bamboo plank that is darker in colour lowers its durability due to its extreme softness of the material. On the other hand, natural colours of bamboo are most enviable, but they are expensive which cannot be affordable for people who are on a budget.
Advantages of Laminate Flooring-
- Laminate flooring is a man-made material; has decent look and good quality, especially if it is a material with premium price. Laminate flooring varies from economical to costly options which make it accessible for any budget.
- It is an extremely durable flooring material for the cost and ease of maintenance.
- Laminate is highly resistant to moisture and stain. It also has good abrasion resistance, doesn’t require high level of maintenance.
- Premium quality floors of Laminate have comfortable feel to walk as bamboo floor.
- Laminate flooring offers diverse colours and can mimic any natural material in almost any style design and pattern.
- Laminate flooring usually does not scratch, fade, warp or dent as easily as bamboo floors.
- At last, it is relatively simple and easy to install on your own with no hassles or a professional can be hired for busy home owners.
Disadvantages of Laminate Flooring-
- Least expensive laminate floors might look cheap and need to replace it in a short span of time.
- Laminate floors need to be restored completely when it is damaged, whereas bamboo can be refinished instead of replacing it.
- In addition, laminate floors will damage if excess water is settled on the surface in the areas like bathrooms and kitchens, also warranty can be voided.
Both Floorings come in a wide selection of colours and patterns. However, selection varies from one manufacturer to other, so make sure to check several stores/ flooring companies to find the look that most appeals to you.