Concrete is one flooring material that has numerous advantages that will benefit both the user and the manufacturer. The user or the client is benefited as it gives your home or office an exquisite and magnificent look. The manufacturer is benefited as more clients would opt for concrete flooring to get the desired look for their home or office. Though concrete has a few disadvantages, they have taken a back seat as the advantages are more attractive and many. It is very important to consider the pros and cons of concrete, before installing it to be completely satisfied with the material.
Pros of Concrete Flooring:
- Durability – Concrete flooring is very sturdy and dependable as it can sustain pressure from heavy objects like trucks, cars, industrial crates and forklifts. Due to its sturdiness it is ideal for use in commercial areas like warehouses, manufacturing units and garages. Concrete is a material that is very difficult to damage as it is resistant to scratches cause by pets, furniture and high heels.
- Easy to Preserve – It is very convenient to clean and maintain a concrete flooring as it only requires sealing and waxing to protect its surface. It is generally recommended to wax or seal a concrete floor every three to nine months. This flooring material can be effortlessly cleaned using a floor mop and a neutral detergent.
- Flexible – Concrete flooring is an extremely versatile flooring material as long as it is installed professionally without any defects like bumps and holes. Versatile in the sense you can at a later stage install any other flooring material of your choice on top of the concrete floor if you wish to.
- Longevity – A concrete floor that is perfectly sealed and maintained lasts a lifetime. It is designed to sustain high foot traffic even when installed in commercial establishments. It is a very affordable flooring material as it is does not cost a fortune and does not need replacement for a very long time.
- Design and Patterns – Usually concrete was considered as a flooring material that is dull and lifeless with a bumpy surface. However, modern cutting edge mixing and setting techniques have a wide array of exclusive designs, colors and patterns.
Cons of Concrete Flooring:
- Though durability is an advantage for concrete floor, it can be a disadvantage when installed in home with kids and elderly people as its surface is extremely hard. In case of an unwanted fall or slip it can cause serious injury to people in your family.
- The hard surface of concrete makes it very difficult to stand on for a long period of time, as it gives a cold, uneasy feeling under the feet.
- If concrete is not perfectly sealed, the flooring can be easily damaged by penetration of moisture into it. Moisture when penetrates into the flooring can lead to formation of mold and mildew which is dangerous to the health of your family.
For any questions, please comment below.