Appropriate care and maintenance of a hardwood floor is essential to keep up its appearance. You also have an option of refinishing the floor in order to revitalize its look and remove any scratches or stains that may have occurred over the time. You must understand the limitations of hardwood, and should be aware of the locations where it shouldn’t be used.
At the same time, wood flooring is a long lasting material that can be used in various interior locations. While it does have issues with water, it can be sealed for protection against these elements. Hardwood is durable but can be easily damaged in many ways.
Floor care is required to keep your hardwood looking its best; however there are four major aspects of hardwood floor care:
Four important points to keep your hardwood flooring to look fantastic:
Along with the regular cleaning there are a number of protective measures to be followed to preserve and maintain for the hardwood care:
- Better use of area rugs and mats in high traffic areas and places of frequent spills (for example: in front of the stove, refrigerator and sink etc). Make sure to move these rugs very often, so that these areas of the floor will remain the same color similar to the exposed floor. However, it is best to opt for the cotton mats as they do not trap water under them as rubber, vinyl etc.
- Avoid using stilettos as they can spoil your hardwood.
- Keep the nails trimmed on pets as they can scratch the hardwood.
- Immediately clean up the spills with a dry cloth or paper towel. A wet cloth can be used for sticky spills, but make sure to dry the spot instantly with another dry cloth or towel.
- It is recommendable to lift rather than drag your furniture when moving from one place to another and it’s best to use felt contacts under the furniture legs to get rid of gouges and scratches.
- Use blinds or sheers to preserve floors from the blotch or tarnishing caused by the direct sun rays on your hardwood.
Don’ts are every bit as essential as the do’s in the hardwood floor care:
- Do not use regular floor cleaners, dusting products on your hardwood flooring.
- Never use wax on the floor with a urethane or other shiny finish.
- Never wash hardwood, use only a moderately damp mop.
Occasionally, you will want to put in a little extra attempt to make your floor look like a new floor. To solve cleaning problems, proper care should be taken from the beginning of the floor installation. Must make sure to thoroughly clean your floor once a season or once per year depending on the traffic. To make your hardwood retain their beauty and intensify any decor that you pick up over years, you must spend some time to take an effort to care!