Laminate flooring is the most popular kind of flooring for homes and commercial spaces mainly due to the ease in cleaning these floors. Cleaning laminate floors is simple if you have the right kind of broom and mop. Here you can read about few laminate cleaning tips on how to maintain your laminate floors for a long time.
You will need 2 things for taking care of your laminate floors:
Microfibre mop: This is perfect as it can move smoothly on the floor with ease and pick up any dry dust and pet hair if any. One other reason is the swivel head that can go under tables and chairs and clean an entire room in less time.
Cleaning liquid: You can easily buy a cleaning liquid in the flooring shop recommended for the type of floor you have or even better is that you can make the cleaning solution at home which gives the same or better results.
- You can use the microfibre mop and swipe it across the floor to remove any hair and dust. Do not use water. Or run a vacuum over the floor but make sure you don’t use the beater bar as it cause damage to the floors. Or just sweep the floor with a broom. You can spray some of the cleaning solution on the floor and wipe it off with the mop.
The cleaning solution prepared at home can be used on all kinds of laminate finishes and will give it a good and clean look. All you will need is:
- Mix 3:1 water and vinegar and add a bit of liquid detergent soap. Keep this mixture in a bottle and use it whenever you are cleaning your laminate floors. All you will need to do for regular cleaning is to spray some of this solution on the floor and wipe it off with a microfiber mop for shiny floors.
If you have kids around, you can be rest assured that your floors will be having a lot of stains be it from crayons or ink or gum or even cola. Here you can find some laminate cleaning tips for stubborn stains:
- If it is a stain caused by chewing gum or crayons remove it by using a plastic knife; never use metal as it can scratch your floors. Once you have removed the gum, apply some mineral spirits and wipe it with a soft damp cloth.
- For nail polish nothing works better than acetone or nail polish remover, once you are done cleaning, use a soft cloth and wipe the residue. Blood stains can be cleaned using a window glass cleaner.
- To remove grease, take an ice pack and freeze the stain, once the grease hardens scrape it off with the help of a plastic knife. Use a damp soft cloth and clean the area. For ink, use detergent for a stubborn ink stain and wipe it. Then take a damp cloth and clean up with area.
- To clean scratches or marks caused by heels, use an eraser and clean it.
Some don’ts that one has to follow for laminate floor caring:
- Never use string mops or sponge mops as they use a lot of water and water can cause more damage to your floors than anything else. You will just need to dampen your mop for cleaning your floors.
- If there is a spill, wipe up immediately using a sponge or paper towels. Never leave puddles unattended on your laminate floors for a long time as they can cause your floors to warp.
- Do not polish or wax your laminate floors as they are not real wood.
- Never use bleach or abrasive cleaning solutions as it can ruin the look of your floors.
- Do not use steel cleaning pads to clean any stains as it can scratch your floors.
Caring for your laminate floors is easy as long as you are using the right materials and the in the correct way.